Preservation is not just an empty concept to the farm proprietors–it is an effort to save 19th century log and period structures from oblivion by means of a deep-seated appreciation of history. It is also a stubborn German heritage and determination to maintain a link with their German-American roots. At Luxenhaus Farm, the family has preserved not only dilapidated log and family homesteads, barns and “out” buildings from destruction, fire, burial and deterioration, but has preserved the early folkways and skills of this rural Missouri area!
”Historic Luxenhaus Farm”
Just thirty-five years ago, Luxenhaus Farm was a rocky wooded hillside, typical of the Warren County, MO countryside in the mid-1800′s. Twenty-one log and wood-siding primitive restored structures plus the “ERIC SLOANE COVERED BRIDGE” now dot the acreage, thanks to the foresight of the owner’s family, friends and new neighbors.
Of country roots, the family elected to somehow preserve their German Heritage for future generations to understand our pioneer forefathers' way of life. First was the “ERIC SLOANE COVERED BRIDGE,” constructed from circa 1818 siding–the Louisiana Purchase era. The Bridge was dedicated on July 4, 1976, our Bicentennial, to “Eric Sloane,” (Edvard Heinreich), the late-greatly remembered Americana artist and author of such well-known titles as “American Barns and Covered Bridges,” “Early American Tools,” “Our Vanishing Landscape” and many more collectable books; many are available in the “General Mercantile” during the Deutsch Country Days historic event.
Mr. Sloane signed several of his books brought from the owner's collection, gifting an unpublished new work (at the time) titled “The Sound of Bells!” It is now available at book stores and online. ALL of Mr. Sloane’s historic library are indeed a delight for children and adults – filed with early American history and nostalgia!
The second log structure to be reconstructed was the six-room dog-trot log home, “THE HUBER HAUS,” originally constructed in 1830 in Perryville, Missouri by German immigrant Andrew Huber and his family. The family included his wife, three children and one mother-in-law who just arrived from Germany several months prior to the construction; perhaps the motivation for the expedited housing expansion!
Then followed the eighteen Missouri log structures from Gasconade, St. Charles, St. Louis and Warren Counties — all originally built from 1800 - 1860. These buildings became “LUXENHAUS FARM,” Platt Deutsch (Low German) for “log house farm.”
The derivation of the name, “Luxenhaus,” was derived in 1978 from a local, elderly, original Marthasville resident who was still speaking fluent Platt Deutsch. Cannot locate any of these ancestors in “High German,” or Hoch Deutsch, was translated to “BARENHAUS.” That simply did not relate to anyone close, as that description was of the exquisite estate and mansion of the Augustus Bush Family in St. Louis. Thus the authentically-named Marthasville, Missouri farm as in 1850 was“LUXENHAUS,” meaning “Log House Farm.”
The farm, along with the Deutsch Country Days Historic demonstrations and exhibits, has been featured in numerous national magazines, publications and films throughout the years.