Preservation is not just an empty concept to the farm proprietors–it is an effort to save 19th century log and period structures from oblivion by means of a deep-seated appreciation of history.Â It is also a stubborn German heritage and determination to maintain a link with their German-American roots. At Luxenhaus Farm, the family has preserved not only dilapidated log and family homesteads, barns and â€śoutâ€ť buildings from destruction, fire, burial and deterioration, but has preserved the early folkways and skills of this rural Missouri area!
Just thirty-four years ago, Luxenhaus Farm was a rocky wooded hillside, typical of the Warren County, MO countryside in the mid-1800â€˛s. Twenty-one log and wood-siding primitive restored structures plus the â€śERIC SLOANE COVERED BRIDGEâ€ť now dot the acreage, thanks to the foresight of the ownerâ€™s family, friends and new neighbors.
Of country roots, the family elected to somehow preserve their German Heritage for future generations to understand our pioneer forefatherâ€™s way of life. First was the â€śERIC SLOANE COVERED BRIDGE,â€ť constructed from circa 1818 sidingâ€“the Louisiana Purchase era. The Bridge was dedicated on July 4, 1976, our Bicentennial, to â€śEric Sloane,â€ť (Edvard Heinreich), the late-greatly remembered Americana artist and author of such well-known titles as â€śAmerican Barns and Covered Bridges,â€ť â€śEarly American Tools,â€ť â€śOur Vanishing Landscapeâ€ť and many more collectable books; many are available in the â€śGeneral Mercantileâ€ť during the Deutsch Country Days historic event.
Mr. Sloane signed several of his books brought from the ownersâ€™ collection, gifting an unpublished new work (at the time) titled â€śThe Sound of Bells!â€ť It is now available at book stores and online. ALL of Mr. Sloaneâ€™s historic library are indeed a delight for children and adults â€“ filed with early American history and nostalgia!
The second log structure to be reconstructed was the six-room dog-trot log home, â€śTHE HUBER HAUS,â€ť originally constructed in 1830 in Perryville, Missouri by German immigrant Andrew Huber and his family. The family included his wife, three children and one mother-in-law who just arrived from Germany several months prior to the construction; perhaps the motivation for the expedited housing expansion!Â
Then followed the eighteen Missouri log structures from Gasconade, St. Charles, St. Louis and Warren Counties â€” all originally built from 1800- 1860. These buildings became â€śLUXENHAUS FARM,â€ť Platt Deutsch (Low German) for â€ślog house farm.â€ť
The derivation of the name, â€śLuxenhaus,â€ť was derived in 1978 from a local, elderly, original Marthasville resident who was still speaking fluent Platt Deutsch. Cannot locate any of these ancestors in â€śHigh German,â€ť or Hoch Deutsch, was translated to â€śBARENHAUS.â€ť That simply did not relate to anyone close, as that description was of the exquisite estate and mansion of the Augustus Bush Family in St. Louis. Thus the authentically-named Marthasville, Missouri farm as in 1850 was â€śLUXENHAUS,â€ť meaning â€śLog House Farm.â€ť
The farm, along with the Deutsch Country Days Historic demonstrations and exhibits, has been featured in numerous national magazines, publications and films throughout the years. October 2013 there will be two features in two national magazines, titles to be released shortly!
Â “Kommen, freuet euch mit uns.”
Â ”Come, enjoy yourself with us â€” Here you are most welcome!”
Grounds are only partially Handicap accessible.
Leashed pets are always welcome–along with their “pooper-scooper!”